Virtual Reality EducationSustainable Urban Development
360 Video Virtual Education Project Objectives
- Concept, script and production budget consulting
- Virtual reality direction and education for Ecocity’s team of 12
- Pre-Production logistics, permits, and planning
- Produce 14 locations of live action 360 video with stereo audio
- Stitching and editing 360 mono videos
- Develop and testing of virtual reality WebVR app to play on variety of devices
- Deploy and test app on Amazon cloud servers
- Maximize Amazon Availability Zones for clients global audience
About the Customer | Ecocity Builders
Ecocity Builders is a non-profit organization in Oakland California. Their mission is to reshape cities for the long-term health of human and natural systems. Ecocity Builders does this by developing and implementing policy, design and educational tools and strategies to build thriving urban centers. The core focus is on “access by proximity” and to reverse patterns of sprawl and excessive consumption.
The 360 Virtual Reality Education Challenge
The goal is to use virtual reality as a educational tool in a entertaining and easy to understand visual media format that transports views to see and feel the projects on the ground.
By introducing people to the Ecocity framework that makes sustainable cities possible the long range objective is to have a vibrant network of EcocityVR tours. Then city planners, industry leaders, and students will have a virtual world to explore how various geographic regions implement the four pillars of a sustainable city.
Virtual Reality Education Challenges in Production
Our biggest challenge with this project was mainly the non-profit budget being about 15% of normal commercial VR productions. Production value in terms of technical and visual quality is what suffered in order to produce all 14 locations. We reduced the number of cameras from six to two. Data management and editing resources of 4K footage from six cameras and two audio recorders adds up quickly.